Arts Organizations and Communities of Color
What we're doing
Arts organizations founded by, with, or for communities of color play critical roles in their communities. Despite this, they have long been overlooked and underfunded.
This initiative has three prongs:
- Support for 18 relatively large organizations of color around the country to advance their organizational well-being. The organizations span visual and performing arts, media arts, and community-based organizations focused on artistic practice.
- Funding for arts intermediary organizations in their support of arts organizations of color.
- Support for research projects proposed by arts service organizations rooted in communities of color.
What we're learning
There are two categories of studies currently underway:
- Documentation of the work of the 18 relatively large arts organizations of color. Research fellows paired with the 18 organizations are documenting how these organizations define their well-being, how they work towards it, and how it relates to their communities.
- Research studies proposed by arts service organizations rooted in communities of color. These studies explore concerns arts service organizations believe are relevant to their well-being and that of their communities.